Sunday, July 3, 2011

Blog Post #4


Blog Post #4


           
             When comparing both these stories to the poems I wrote about last week, I noticed a lot of similarities.  I also noticed a bigger similarity between the two essays that I read.  After reading both essays I came to the conclusion that both writers enjoy writing about depressing things that happened and that is happening in the world we live in.  These writers wrote about some of the same stuff such as, World War 2.  The difference between both these writers in my opinion is that Sam Himill used more factual evidence and statistics than Carolyn Forche essay. Sam also had some experience when he talked about people being incarcerated and how it feels to be locked away.  He also talked about being a Marine and what is expected from you.  When I compare these essays to the poem I wrote about I noticed some similarities.  I wrote my essay on the poem called “Letter Composed During a Lull in the Fighting”. This poem was about love and how this soldier misses the love of his life.  Obviously this poem and Sam’s essay are related because they both wrote about being in the Military.  Also all three pieces of writing were depression and had no happy or cheerful moment throughout all the writing I read. 
            I agree with everything they had to talk about.  Most was factual evidence that you can’t argue with or it was writing about emotion.  I don’t think I can agree or disagree when it comes to matters of emotion because some people try not to have any emotion at all and others wear there feeling on there selves.  But I can understand some of the emotion they were feeling or the reasons why they felt that way.  All in all I didn’t really enjoy the writings but I enjoyed the poem.

3 comments:

  1. I would have to agree about the two articles; neither of them jumped out and pulled me in. I also wrote about "Letter Composed During a Lull in the Fighting" and enjoyed it immensely because I was able to personally relate to it. As far as both writers having an affinity for writing about depressing topics; I don't think that that is the aim of either. They are both just writing about things that the masses do not want to recognize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,

    I think that you have shown some very good understandings with the two poems and the other writing. It is good to see these simularities and differences in a way that you can relate to them. :) You also talked about the feelings of all of the authors in a very understanding way. Very nice post. :) - Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, your post made me giggle because of the conclusion you draw from the two essays; that both writers enjoyed writing about depressing things. Why are most poems of poetry of witness so gloomy? I think poetry of witness is gloomy because they are about events no one wants to talk about. Everyone talks about love and happiness, but hardly about sadness. But nonetheless, poetry of witness is writer’s way to express difficult subject manner in a way to educate others.

    ReplyDelete